Sunday, December 1, 2013

Children of Tembisa

Thanksgiving isn't celebrated here but we had a feast anyway...68 people feasted.  It went well - very smooth and nothing went wrong.  I made two of these cute veggie trays:


At the orphanage on Saturday we danced and sang with the children.  I taught them to dance Mele Kalikimaka and Chris played it on the uke.  They just loved it!  The kids just love to have their photo taken.  I showed them their pictures and they just laugh and squeal!  They LOVE to see their picture! 


I accidentally scrolled too far and they saw some food pictures from Thanksgiving.  I heard the little girl on my lap say "Mmmm food!"  Ah Ha!  They DO know some English words!  She suddenly became more interested in the food pictures than in the pictures of herself.  I stopped on the picture of rolls & didn't want to show her any others...  made me feel sad that they would drool over a tiny picture of food.  I asked her if she liked bread and she said yes.  I told her and mama that we would bring rolls next time we come.  We were all hugging and saying I love you.  I taught them how to make the I love you sign with their fingers.  As we left, they all ran to the fence and stuck their little hands through the bars and waved the I love you sign to us.  Wow...it's always hard to leave those little ones.  They are so loving and just love hugs.





We also went to our Tembisa Ward Christmas party Saturday.  The bishop called up the various organizations to sing or perform something.  We video taped some great African tribal singing and dancing!  It was amazing.  Bishop also called Chris & I up.  He had his ukulele so we got up and called all the kids and once again taught them to dance Mele Kalikimaka.



A brother told us a cool story in testimony meeting today.  He told of the time his testimony grew...it was once when they got to the church and the yard was full of dogs.  He couldn't believe it and wondered what in the world was going on.  The bishop reminded him that it had been New Years eve the day before and dogs get really scared of all the noise and firecrackers etc.  The bishop explained that all the dogs probably ran to the church because that is where they felt the most safe.  


No comments:

Post a Comment