Thursday, November 27, 2014

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!


Today was our 2nd Thanksgiving in Africa and I was in charge of our Area Sr Missionary Thanksgiving feast again this year.  We had about 60 people.  How blessed we are to be surrounded by such wonderful people.  To have such food to eat and such a nice place to eat it.  Our blessings are many.

As we drove home from this event, the familiar tears formed as we drove past all those who are homeless and begging in the middle of the road.  We always keep granola bars or apples in the car to hand to these brethren of the street.  They take it with both hands as a sign of gratitude and then put their hands together and say "God bless you."  I smile and feel guilty that I'm not giving them more.  

Albert is our favorite.  He greets everyone with the biggest smile, always holding a trash bag, offering to accept the trash from your car hopefully in exchange for a coin or two.  Sometimes I save some garbage to give him and then we give him coins.  He bows with humble gratitude and thanks us. He looks tired but hides it behind a friendly smile.

Why is it like this?  Everyday...long hours they stand.  So many go without food.  So many here are grateful if they have just one meal in a day...usually ground corn mush.   

We have so much.  I think true happiness will one day be the knowledge that nobody is suffering or going without.  Nobody is sorrowing and struggling to just live.  I am thankful and happy for the blessings I have yet deep inside I feel sadness that there is not more equality and I  am helpless to make it so.






No comments:

Post a Comment